Thursday, August 19, 2010

Loving Me

I have a thought that is bursting out of me.

I’ve always really liked ONE thing about myself. My hair. I have GREAT hair. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad haircut; it always looks healthy, shiny, styled. I just have great hair. It’s been the one thing in my life that I have never felt guilty to say I liked about myself. When therapists and nutritionists ask me to make lists of the things I like about myself, “my hair” always makes the list. Sometimes it’s the only thing that makes list and most of the time it’s the only thing I TRULY believe when I write it on the list.

Tonight driving home from the movie “Eat Pray Love” I realized something else I like about myself. I LOVE being smart. I like having knowledge. I enjoy sharing my wisdom with other people but it’s not necessary for me to enjoy it. I like my intellect just for me. I enjoy figuring things out, solving problems, putting things together and understanding complicated thoughts. My intellectual abilities enhance my life.

This isn’t a prideful or superior thing. (Neither is my hair.) I don’t think I am smarter than the rest of the people on the earth. (Nor do I think I have the BEST hair on the earth.) It’s simply a quality about me that I value. It’s a quality that I don’t feel bad for admitting I like in myself.

I’m not sure what else I like about myself. Two things at 28 years old seem like a pretty short list but I feel blessed. I’m blessed to have ANYTHING I like about myself. I’d like to grow the list. At times there have been more items on the list but not items I felt comfortable with admitting or believed to the extent I believe these two items.

It’s very calming to understand I like myself, even if for just two reasons. It gives me the same emotion as snuggling on the couch with my favorite softest blankets. I’m smiling. I’m at peace and I’m comfortable. Not because I am smart or have great hair but because I KNOW I am smart and ENJOY my hair. Because I am loving myself….

No comments:

Post a Comment