Sunday, August 15, 2010

Abuse?

I've been dreading seeing my step father. Today the feeling is more intense since I have to see him tonight. I generally always dread seeing him but it's been much worse in the past couple months.

It seems like every time I've seen him in the past couple months, he's done something to hurt me or the family. Examples: hit my sister just walking by because she didn't read his mind and do his job, refuse to see any of us because his pride was hurt, insult my mom multiple times, belittle my brother, cuss us all out....

Why would I want to spend any time with him?

I just got the "warning" call from my mom. I get them often. They always have the same basic script. "You should come over a little later than originally planned because something happened to piss him off and now he's in an even worse mood than normal." This is my mother's speak for 'I'm trying to minimize the pain he will inflict on you and get you prepared to deal with the hell that's about to ensue.' I'm not sure if she consciously knows that's what she's saying but she delivers the message well.

I'm honestly glad to have the extra 30 minutes or so to prepare but who should ever have to PREPARE to see their step father. I appreciate the information but at the same time it's almost not worth it. It just builds the anxiety and I usually end the call with asking if mom is okay.... Codependent, much? You see these messages from my mom never include the option to just not come or the glimpse of hope that she's actually told him what an ass he is and won't put up with it anymore.

Is this abuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment