Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Productive Forgetting: Part 2

In my last blog I introduced the idea of productive forgetting. The first function productive forgetting plays in my life is to help me contain ideas, memories or problems. Part of my recovery journey has included learning when and how certain topics or facts are appropriate for situations, discussions or activities in my life. I have been hurt in situations where I shared too much or too little.

“There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens…”
– Ecclesiastes 3:1

The concept of productive forgetting allows me to contain any unsafe or vulnerable thoughts or ideas until I am able to discuss and process them honestly, safely and openly. By figuratively setting an idea or memory aside (usually in some kind of mental or symbolic container) until I find time to fully explore options and beliefs, I am honoring the parts that need protection as well as the parts that need a voice. I will “hold onto” an emotionally activating thought until I have the correct assistance, skills or tools to address it.

“The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.”
– Proverbs 18:15

I would love to hear if you use containment in your work with parts? Does it help? What are some of your tricks? Does Productive Forgetting sound like containment work to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment